Informační centrum / English
The history of Mělník is more than one thousand years old. The name Mělník was first mentioned on deniers coined around the year 1000 by princess Emma and bearing the inscription Emma regina – civitas Melnic. The town lies on a hill of rock which gradually crumbles and powders. Hence probably the name Mělník [a substantive derived from the verb “mělnit” which means “to powder”]. It was a significant centre as early as in the 13th century, and the charter of king Přemysl Otakar II from 1273 mentions it for the first time as a town which was included among the royal “dowry towns”.